Holy Cross

Holy Cross Church

In December 1999 the daughter church of St. Andrew's was closed after serving the area around Deansgate Lane since 1932, though services had been held before this in St. Andrew's Day School and Mission House since 1888. The congregation of St. Andrew's joined the congregation of nearby St. Catherine's whilst a new church was being built.  

St Andrew's Church

St. Catherine's church, opened in 1969 as a multipurpose building, is now the parish church hall used for social events and is also let out to other groups. A small chapel, part of the St. Catherine's building, was retained and called The Chapel of St. Andrew and St. Catherine to carry on the names of the original churches. However,in 2016 with sale of the Curate's house the Parish Office was lost so the Chapel had to be converted into an office.

St Catherine's Church

Holy Cross is built on land adjacent to the church hall. It is of a modern, innovative design by architects Nick Rank and Mark Pierce of Buttress Fuller Alsop Williams and the builder was David Flannagan of Kingsmere Construction. The main structure is steel framed with blockwork infill and has a wooden roof clad in stainless steel. External walls are rendered in roughcast terracotta. A circular baptistry tower on the south east corner is of clear glass in an oak frame. Internally the structural steelwork has been angled to complement the unusual angles of the roof to create a focus towards the altar in the north east corner of the church. The stone font from St Andrew's church is set on a circle of green Cumberland slate. The rest of the floor is of polished oak.   The new church, replacing both St. Andrew's and St. Catherine's, is named Holy Cross Church, and was opened for its first service, a Confirmation service, on 6th May 2001 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 16th September 2001.

                 The Sanctuary. Holy Cross.  

The new church is linked to the hall by a corridor which has the vestry, flower vestry, disabled toilet, store room and the boiler room for the underfloor heating.

A stained glass window was installed in the porch 2009. This was a project started by the Junior Church many years ago and taken up by the parish. The window represents the congregations of St Andrew's and St Catherine's churches which joined  to form the congregation of Holy Cross. On the left of the photograph below is St Catherine's wheel on which she died and on the right the fishing net of St Andrew, these come together as Holy Cross in the top centre. The background is a living water design flowing down like a waterfall. The Junior Church is acknowledged by figures of children praying. These are on the bottom two panels. The window was dedicated by Bishop Robert on Sunday 6 September in a service of Holy Communion.

Baptistry Porch
Baptistry Stained Glass Porch Window